FEMA – Elevation Certificate

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is administered by FEMA – Federal Emergency Management Agency.

As part of the NFIP, you may be required to obtain an elevation certificate.

An elevation certificate is a detailed document that is required to be filled out by a licensed land surveyor.  The requirements of your elevation certificate will depend on what flood zone your property is located in.

Don’t worry if you do not know what the elevation certificate requirements are for your property as we will help you.

The elevation certificate may require the land surveyor to indicate the elevation of:

  • The “top of the bottom floor”
  • The “next higher floor”
  • The “bottom of the lowest horizontal structural member”
  • The “top of the slab” for attached garages.
  • The “lowest elevation of any equipment of machinery servicing the building”
  • The “lowest adjacent grade next to the building”
  • The highest adjacent grade next to the building”